- NOVA Asylum Policy Lab, Policy Brief no. 1, January 2023 – English Version
- Title: “The reception of displaced persons from Ukraine in Portugal”.
- Authors: Gabriele de Angelis (ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6999-9532), Elizabeth Challinor (ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4374-067X), Emellin de Oliveira (ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4734-0152) and Marta Lemos (ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5666-790X).
- Translated by: Emellin de Oliveira and Elizabeth Challinor.
- Editor: NOVA Asylum Policy Lab, Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas, Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.34619/0bi4-csgp
Since the beginning of the invasion of Ukraine by the armed forces of the Russian Federation on 24 February 2022, Portugal was one of the first countries to activate the temporary protection regime for displaced persons from Ukraine, successively amended on the basis of the Temporary Protection Directive, triggered by the Council of European Union on 4 March 2022.
Considering the massive and sudden influx of displaced persons from Ukraine, this policy brief aims to analyse the functioning of the national reception system and its adjustment to the current situation of extraordinary access to the system. What are the major challenges encountered? How have the institutions in charge of managing the international protection system reacted? What innovations can be identified in relation to the management of previous flows? What about the standard procedure for reception in the context of international protection? What can we learn from the current management of flows? What improvements can be suggested for the present and for the future?
The method we follow is reflexive-recursive. Based on the documentary study, in the first phase, we conducted interviews and participatory observations and, in the second phase, we sent our findings to the interviewees to gather further information and feedback, on the basis of which we drafted the final report. The information thus collected was compared with data from the project on “The reception of refugees in Portugal” (PTDC/FER-ETC/30368/2017), during which the paths of reception of refugees in Portugal were analysed, in several aspects, and differentiated by the channel of arrival (relocation, resettlement, spontaneous, humanitarian boats).Policy-Brief-UKR-english-version-1
HOW TO CITE THIS POLICY BRIEF:
DE ANGELIS, Gabriele; CHALLINOR, Elizabeth; DE OLIVEIRA, Emellin de Oliveira; and LEMOS, Marta. The reception of displaced persons from Ukraine in Portugal. Translated by Emellin de Oliveira and Elizabeth Challinor. NOVA Asylum Policy Lab, Policy Brief no. 1, January 2023 – English Version, Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, DOI: https://doi.org/10.34619/0bi4-csgp
 The responsibility for the contents and conclusions rests solely with the research team.